Christmas is here. You might be thinking “Yet again this time of year. Nice but…”. There are many “buts”. We enjoy it a lot, but at the same time there are elements of it that we are not so sure of e.g. crowded shopping centres, family members we are not very fond of, overeating etc.
What if you were to make it different this year, different than ever before? What if you were to shift your thinking and decide that this year you, are going to see it differently and that you will experience it differently?
It means that instead of pointing out the challenges and difficulties of this time, you will choose to make it special for yourself and your loved ones. You can take action and do it your way. Focus on what you can do to appreciate this time more than ever before.
Here are 13 ways in which you can get your HO-HO-HO on and make Christmas 2013 a time to remember:
- Start with a smile on your face, and walk with your head up. Notice others; make eye contact and greet them. You know this one guy in the office you never want to talk to – yes, him too! Say “Merry Christmas” first, without waiting for others to do it.
- Be fully present during Christmas shopping (yes, we are serious). Maybe what you previously labelled “stressful” could be in fact a lot of fun.
- Make sure that there is Christmas visible in your environment e.g. home and work. Make this time of year special by putting up Christmas decorations where you live and in your office. In fact anywhere you can.
- Treat your loved ones with kindness. Maybe the relationships in your life that you wanted to work on, you can start improving now. Reach out, call them or send them a Christmas card. What words are you going to say that could show how much you care?
- Treat yourself to something small or not so small but very, very special.
- Attach meaning to it. Make it your reward for successes you achieved this year. What were they? Make this your way to celebrate them.
- Help someone. Make it meaningful and purposeful. Give up your time to support someone who could do with a helping hand, words of wisdom or simply a listening ear.
- Enjoy aromas from the kitchen and make sure to eat seasonal foods. If you don’t cook – DO! As soon as your cookies are ready or your mulled wine is spiced and warm, share it.
- Enjoy time with kids. They can decorate baked cookies or make Christmas decorations. Get involved. Can you remember how much you loved doing it when you were their age? Rediscover this feeling inside you.
- Christmas also means that there is a lot of work that has to be done. We know that well but don’t forget you have your support system around you. Divide all the tasks on your “To Do” list — cooking, cleaning, wrapping, cleaning, more cooking, more cleaning, shopping, more cleaning! (Do you REALLY need to do all this?), between others in your family. Enjoy this time together and appreciate everyone’s contribution.
- Turn on the music. Xmas Fm? We have heard them all, but it also means that we know them all by heart so let’s SING ALONG. Christmas carols are also wonderful and inspiring to listen to and they carry the real spirit of Christmas. Gather some friends and family this year and sing together. Remember: it’s not about singing in tune, but about being tuned in.
- Read the story of Christmas and share it with your family. Remembering the real reason for Christmas will do much to restore your faith in both the season, and in humanity.
- Start a new tradition. It might be for yourself, it might be for your family and friends. Incorporate any of the old celebrations. What could be your new or your families’ new tradition?
Any more ideas how to get your HO-HO-HO on? What do you do to make this time more special?
You might also like the following Related posts:
FREE Online Open Events – Advanced and Practitioner Coaching Diplomas
You are very welcome to come along to one of our next Online Open Events for the Practitioner Diploma in Coaching with Neuroscience and for the Advanced Diploma in Coaching with Neuroscience.
This is an excellent opportunity to find out more about the benefits of learning advanced and practitioner level coaching skills with a professional qualification from Positive Success Group.
Find out more about these highly successful part-time courses. Read more
Find out why you want to attend this event: Read more
ONLINE OPEN EVENT DETAILS
|Date||Monday, 8th November|
|Time||7.30pm – 8.30pm|
If you’re unable to attend please contact us to discuss. We are happy to answer any questions you might have about the course and coaching.