This month we encourage you to relax, find ways to retune and recharge your batteries. Maybe also take some time to rethink, replan and reconsider.
What would you do if we told you a secret?
What if there were a mysterious potion you could take that could change your life, that could have positive effects on your mind and body. This potion if taken daily could help reduce stress, increase self esteem, help you make better informed decisions, improve your mood and increase the overall effectiveness of your brain. The good effects don’t end there, your body can also benefit. As a result of drinking this potion you would feel more energized, more grounded and alive, in control and simply happier…
Would you drink it? How much would you pay for it?
Would you want it even more if we said that it was completely free, natural and available for you right now.
In fact, as you probably guessed, there isn’t any such magical potion. However, something does exist that gives all of the above benefits – and it’s called meditation!
The Benefits of Meditation
The benefits of meditation have been scientifically proven with an emphasis on the positive effects on our brains. Research conducted a few years ago in Harvard Medical School, University of Massachusetts Medical School, and the Bender Institute of Neuroimaging in Germany provided further evidence. For the purpose of the study, scientists chose 16 participants inexperienced in meditation. The results on the brain activity were impressive. Researchers observed improved learning and memory processes, emotional regulation and problem solving.
For some meditation sounds like an overly spiritual experience and therefore they don’t practice. There are other myths about meditation that prevent people from opening their minds to the benefits of it. Here are some common ones.
- I Am Not Spiritual… and therefore meditation is not for me. Meditation has very little to do with spirituality and all to do with conscious shift of thinking, relaxation, attention focus and clarity. If you expect transcendental happenings they can’t be promised. Based on the research, you can be certain that your brain will function more effectively, you will get better at managing yourself and become more creative and mindful
- Meditation is Difficult If you tell yourself that it is, it most definitely will be. Set realistic expectations, take time to research and learn more about how to meditate effectively and then find your own, most beneficial way. There is no ideal prescribed method. It is perfect, when it’s perfect for you.
- I Will Fall Asleep Meditate with a purpose. This way you will have a goal to achieve in meditation. Practice how to manage your thoughts in order to achieve your objective and you won’t fall asleep. Try guided meditation and don’t forget to set the alarm clock.
- It Will Take Weeks Before I See ResultsThe more often you do meditate the more in control you will feel. The healing benefits and stress release will happen immediately. But if you expect quick life changing results then reevaluate your expectations. Stay consistent to fully experience the benefits.
- I Must Find a Quiet Place and Free Time Every Day Yes, it is beneficial to meditate every day but the time and place can be arranged to match our lifestyle and the pace of living. Which one of the daily activities mentioned below will you choose to introduce meditation into your life?
What Does Meditation Mean to You?
We all have our own understanding of what meditation is and what it isn’t. Some of us cannot imagine life without it. Meditation could be a new activity that you want to start and continue. It can be a part of our ordinary daily activities. Here are a few suggestions for times during the day that you can try to introduce some moments of calmness.
While enjoying a morning coffee
On a bus or train to work (but not while driving!)
During lunch break
While cleaning or washing dishes
While taking a shower or a bath
First thing before you get up in the morning
Do you have your own ideas to share with others?
If you want to find out more information on this topic, here are some recommended articles.
- Find the right technique
- This is Your Brain on Meditation
- Meditating Leaders
- Good Times of Day to Meditate
- Meditation In Your Day
You might also like the following Related posts:
FREE Open Events – Coaching Diplomas – Dublin, Cork, Galway, Advanced
You are very welcome to come along to one of our next Open Events for the Practitioner Diploma in Coaching with Neuroscience and for the Advanced Diploma in Coaching with Neuroscience.
This is an excellent opportunity to find out more about the benefits of learning practitioner level coaching skills with a professional qualification from Positive Success Group.
Find out more about these highly successful part-time courses. Read more
Find out why you want to attend this event: Read more